Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Dear Netflix Comma

Hello,

I am writing to report a database/labeling issue which may be also causing a problem with discs being filed in the wrong envelopes.

I have been repeatedly trying to get the correct discs that are part of the collection "Doctor Who: The Beginning collection," especially the second disc, "The Daleks." I have reported them as mis-filed several times, and gotten the wrong disc several times. I finally bought my own copy of the boxed set. I think the issue is in part in the database description. The title lines are so long that the information on which disc it is is not included on the white envelope until the bottom of the description.

"Doctor Who: The Beginning Collection" is a boxed set containing two plastic cases. As packaged in "The Beginning Collection," it is a 3-disc set in two plastic boxes. However, "The Unearthly Child" seems to have been also made available as a separate product (you can order it from Amazon) and it appears that The Daleks/The Edge of Destruction was also intended to be available as a separate product, although it is not currently available from Amazon. The two boxes that are packaged together in the set are labeled as follows:

Box 1:

"Doctor Who: An Unearthly Child (The William Hartnell Years 1963-1966)" (this is a box with one disc labeled the same as the box, and so there is no confusion in the labeling on the disc)

Box 2:

"Doctor Who: The Dalex/The Edge of Destruction (The William Hartnell Years 1963-1966" (this is a box with two discs; one says "The Daleks: Disc 1 of 2" and the other says "The Edge of Destruction: Disc 2 of 2").

I would recommend changing the titles of all three of these discs in your database as follows, to better reflect the packaging:

Disc 1:

"Doctor Who: The Beginning Collection: An Unearthly Child (Disc 1 of 3) (The William Hartnell Years 1963-1966)"

Disc 2:

"Doctor Who: The Beginning Collection: The Daleks (Disc 2 of 3) (The William Hartnell Years 1963-1966)"

Maybe the description of the disc should include a note that says "NOTE: this disc is labeled "Disc 1 of 2" even though in the "Doctor Who: The Beginning" collection it is the second of a three-disc set."

Disc 3:

"Doctor Who: The Beginning Collection: The Edge of Destruction (Disc 3 of 3) (The William Hartnell Years 1963-1966)"

Maybe the description of the disc should include a note that says "NOTE: this disc is labeled "Disc 2 of 2" even though in the "Doctor Who: The Beginning" collection it is the third of a three-disc set.

I would also see if you can get the word out to your distribution centers to check that the discs from the set are in their proper sleeves, since several times I have failed to receive the right disc and I'm sure this will affect other people.

Sorry this is so confusing and I hope this explanation is helpful. I tried to explain this to your phone representative but he suggested that I write it out instead, and gave me a partial credit for my trouble, which I did not ask for but which I appreciate.

Yours Truly,

Paul R. Potts

No comments: