Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Smelt Night!

Sometimes, certain items at the grocery store just speak to me. This past Saturday it was a pound of fresh smelt on ice. They looked so tasty that Grace was threatening to eat smelt sashimi.

Michigan DNR on Smelt Dipping

I rinsed and drained them, rolled them in a seasoned cornmeal, and pan-fried them for just a couple of minutes. We ate them with a salad and some homemade cocktail sauce and pretty much nothing else. A cold beer would have been nice but we had to settle for juice.

I had read that you don't need to take the spines and bones out, and they are supposed to be a good source of calcium. After chewing up a few whole ones I started following Grace's example and peeling the spines out. The bones are small but they can be a little rough going down. I think I might still be digesting some of them...

I don't think I've eaten smelt in at least 20 years! They were quite tasty, although best when still quite hot, and needed a bit of something salty to bring out the flavor. Once they cooled down they were not quite so appealing, but that's true of most cooked fish.

Again next year!

No comments: